backgrounds

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Adventures in Cloth Diapering – Part 1

It’s hard for me to remember exactly why I decided to try cloth diapering. I honestly haven’t had the best memories or experiences with them. For example, I remember wearing cloth diapers as a toddler (prefolds, pins, and covers) and my skin was so irritated by the pins that held the diaper on (imagine red rashes on your hips). Or, one time I was holding a baby wearing a cloth diaper and he had soaked through them! Gross. Having somebody else’s baby pee on me made me not like the cloth diapers OR the baby really. I’m just being honest here.

I must have been swayed by the financial savings, or the new and improved styles of diapers, or I’ll admit – maybe even the rebellious part in me that wanted to be different and prove to people that it CAN work. Whichever it was, I was stoked about learning more about cloth diapering, and very motivated to convince my husband this really was a good idea.

Convincing my husband that washing cloth diapers in our washing machine was actually sanitary and not the grossest thing ever was, um, interesting. Eventually, he came around. I think the fact that I was actually PREGNANT and the reality of the cost of disposable diapers made him turn towards the light. Now, he is definitely on board and he even attended a “Cloth Diapering – 101” workshop with me. Isn’t that the cutest?

***We interrupt this program for a special Public Service Announcement: I would like to take a moment and share something that I have learned about husbands and cloth diapers. My husband (and probably yours too) doesn’t like to go on and on about them, talk about how cute they are, touch them, and talk about what I think will work/not work – like I do. I am learning to save that sort of thing for my girlfriends. Please, spare your husband and find a fellow cloth diaper-er.***

After convincing my husband, I did a Google search on cloth diapers. The results were overwhelming. There were too many sites selling them, too many types of cloth diapers to choose from, and the lingo on cloth diapering forums was like trying to read Chinese. I even spent time wondering if I could make my own cloth diapers. My questions and all uncertainty went away after I attended our Cloth Diapering – 101 workshop. It was so informative and I felt like a light bulb was turned on in my brain.

In my next post, I will give you your very own Cloth Diapering – 101 workshop. I will explain the pros and cons of all different types of diapering options and I may even talk about cleaning them. Or what I’ve heard about cleaning them - because, maybe you don’t know, I haven’t had my baby so I haven’t had the chance to practice this. Yet.

Until Next Time,

Lindsey

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking that you could TOTALLY use a SHAM-WOW towel thing instead of those "regular" cloth diapers, they hold up to 3 gallons of pure URINE!

    lol, I don't know if that's true or not.

    Love, Ana

    ReplyDelete