backgrounds

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Day 1: The 3 Day Bathroom Facelift

So tonight begins the 3 night guest bathroom facelift(these things happen at night because I have to wait for post baby bedtime). I call it a facelift because everything being done is cosmetic, and I know what a real renovation is (we have done a bathroom to the studs and I am NOT doing that!) Also, everything being done here can be done by one ambitious lady on a budget. I am hoping to do this project for under $150 - with the caveat that I have the paint supplies already in stock.

So...here is the ugly bathroom we are attacking:



Note the lovely wallpaper, the awesome light fixture, the bare mirror, the dated brass hardware and the dark wood and grout.

Night #1 - Sanding, prepping and priming

Work fast, work hard, it doesn't have to be perfect, but you'll regret being sloppy.

First remove all hardware, light switches, cabinet doors, etc.

It is well worth buying a power-sander if you have many projects in your future, taping is a must, you'll spend the next several years looking at your mis-placed paint and wishing you'd taken a few more minutes prep time.

In one hour flat, the doors were on saw horses and the bathroom ready for paint:




One more hour and all sanded surfaces had received a coat of primer.
I have painting tips, and I share them here because I recently helped my sister-in-law paint her dining room and she had NEVER before painted...seriously. I suppose my family painted more than is normal, but just in case you are in her boat.
It is WELL WORTH THE MONEY to buy good paint brushes and good paint. The more expensive stuff will save you time and money in the long run.
Specifically with regard to painting cabinets - I strongly recommend if you are doing a kitchen or a primary use bathroom that you use oil based paint, it holds up so much better to wear and tear, but it is a royal pain to use!

Here are the painted surfaces, one hour later.




Total time commitment to night # 1 - 2 hours.

More to come as the transformation continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment