backgrounds

Friday, May 15, 2009

Produce Deals this week




As the summer gets hot (it already is here in Florida) I love more than usual fresh produce. I find it is easier to keep my grocery budget down with dry and frozen goods because I can combine with coupons and stock up, but fruit and veggies are a little harder, you have to buy what is in season and take advantage.

I was so excited to find that The Fresh Market was having some great deals today.
Blackberries $0.98 (usually over $3 ea!)
Raspberries 2/$5
Blueberries 2/$5
Mangoes $0.98

Publix was also featuring Strawberries, Cantaloupe and Blueberries 2/$5
Florida sweet corn 8/$2
Red Anjou Pears $0.49/lb

A tip to avoid waste
I get so angry when I have to throw away produce that I let sit a little too long or didn't get finished (like a 1/2 banana.) Freeze them and make smoothies! I suggest you prep them (cut of stems of strawberries, peel bananas and mangoes, etc.) then drop them in a ziplock bag and into the freezer.

As the summer gets hotter, a nice frozen fruit smoothie is delicious and can be very nutritious. Throw in a handful of spinach and you will pack some serious nutritious punch and not taste the difference. Leftover smoothie can be poured into Popsicle molds and pulled out later for a snack.

Happy Healthy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment