backgrounds

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Pursuing Hospitality

Within the church we talk about something we call the "gift of hospitality." It's never put quite that way in the Bible, but it is a quality that is valued.

1 Peter 4:8-10
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins. Show hospitality to one another without grumbling. As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace."

I used to humor myself believing that because I enjoyed entertaining this made me hospitable. Then I began to realize that the fact I become a crazy person for a week before entertaining probably disqualifies me. True hospitality doesn't make your home and family miserable up until the party begins.

Today I want to introduce the FlyLady at www.flylady.net. I love this site and email service because she recognized how our unreasonable compulsion towards perfection keeps us from accomplishing things and making our homes lovely places.

I threw a shower this weekend for a fellow contributor to this blog and took a few tips from the FlyLady, planning the menu a week ahead of time, creating a schedule for what I would prepare each day, not trying to do too much at a time and generally allowing myself to enjoy the process without the stress.

I didn't accomplish this perfectly, but it was a major improvement. Tuesday I did a basic cleaning of my house. Wednesday I baked, Thursday I cooked these beautiful quiches. And Friday I decorated, set out all my dishes, did a quick clean up of those things that had collected mess through the week and did a final check for all things I would need the next morning.

I have taken another tip from the FlyLady making sure my kitchen is clean, dishwasher empty and lace up shoes are on my feet before I start cooking. Everything moves smoother. This was my kitchen the night before, ready for the morning and giving me plenty of time to spare for a shower that started bright and early at 9:00am!




So here is to learning not to make blessings to others a curse to our own families!

Proverbs 14:1

The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks TDB! I had a lovely time. What a wonderful hostess you were!!!

    ReplyDelete