backgrounds

Thursday, July 30, 2009

A custom nursery

I warn you at the start...this is NOT a post about how to do a nursery cheaper or more easily than buying a pre-made nursery set. And there are lots of precious one's out there! Rather, this post is about how to create a room around something you love.

I LOVED these ducks. Seriously. Aren't they precious? For a number of pre-baby years every time I went into Target I told my husband that when we had babies, I wanted these ducks to decorate the nursery.



When I became pregnant I was fortunate they were being discontinued so I bought them up and have two shelves in my kids' room where they are displayed.

Fabric and Bedding

Next my mom took them with her to the craft store and found paints to match which we used to add bits of the color around the room. She mixed it with a fabric medium and stamped little circles on a cream fleece that she used in the bedding. We also chose fabrics that had colors that matched or blended. If you have never quilted or worked with fabric, it is not necessary you have a perfect match, blending is key. Lastly, to make the mixture more juvenile, she chose a large scale ric-rac trim and embroidered duck feet. You can see I chose to hang the quilt on the wall in the end because it was so precious, and babies don't usually sleep under the quilt anyhow.




Furniture Accents
Next I used the paint that we had matched to give the baby furniture details that brought it together. I was given the crib and bought the dresser at an antique store for $80. I painted both with cream paint and added the detail. My husband was very suspicious of the dresser as it was pink and gold when it came home!






Other Accessories
I also found other accessories that were in the same color family. I LOVE the sweet lantern light that takes a low voltage night light bulb. These "boy items" were too sweet to pass up, now I need to add some more girly things with our new bundle on the way.




Other Areas
As my little boy has gotten older we added to our glider to make a reading area complete with cheap (they are on sale on and off this summer at Target for $2.99!) matching green crates for toys and books, and a fun bean bag. Notice also the lovely window treatment- again kudos to my mom!
We don't have enough bedrooms to have a separate guest room so we had to incorporate a guest bed. This trundle bed was a shiny white finish but I spray painted it with textured black spray paint (Learn more about how to do this from a prior post here.)






So here is to things you love - work with them and make something that is uniquely special to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment