backgrounds

Thursday, July 9, 2009

July 4th Treats

This holiday we had family visiting which calls for some special foods and decoration.

First - The July 4th cheese board starring delicious berries in the colors of our flag. Too pretty to just eat!


A bowlful of freshly split sweet cherries. I wish the camera could capture how dark and lovely they were! These made an incredible cobbler with vanilla ice cream. See earlier posts for the cobbler recipe.


And last, a super easy and very special breakfast. I've heard them called bulls eyes, eggs in a basket, and so on. I make mine with homemade cinnamon raisin bread (from the bread maker), one egg and a little shredded cheddar. The mixture of salty and sweet makes it just perfect.

After baking bread, you can freeze or refrigerate it pre-sliced. Warm a skillet on medium-high, add butter to coat your cooking area. Cut out the middle of the bread with a cookie cutter or a glass. Place the bread on the melted butter and crack one egg in the middle. Cook the remaining bread cut out on the side. Wait until firmed on one side, flip and add the cheddar.

Aren't these just the cutest?!


What communicates love better than heart shaped food?



Cinnamon Raisin Bread
1 1/4 cup water
2 TBS Honey
2 TBS brown sugar
2 Tsp sugar or splenda (this is just for extra sweetness, so do to your taste)
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp cinnamon
2 Cup whole wheat flour
1 Cup white flour
2 TBS butter
2 1/3 Tsp bread maker yeast
1 Cup Raisins
**Check your machine's instructions for timing of raisins, they should be added later in the cycle, generally it is about an hour in.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! YUMMY! I'm glad that you are loving it. When i get settled into a house and start cooking again...I will hollar at you. I have two bread machines now and my fancy new mixer which I'm still trying to master my yeast rolls. I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete