I started off this project like a I do most real-wood projects: liquid sandpaper. As I've said before, this product is great because a) you don't have to use a sander or sandpaper and you get the same result (without the dust!) and b) the sanding step can double as a wiping-everything-down-since-paint-won't-stick-to-dirt step. So, yeah - for someone who can be impatient and just want to get a project done, any time I can combine steps, I am happy.
But then that's when things got dicey. First I started with a foam roller, but even after several (several) coats, you could still see lines and the coverage wasn't great. Also, I was using a craft sponge on the drawers and smaller areas where the roller wouldn't fit and the coverage wasn't great there either (even though I had just used a craft sponge when I refinished a chair and it worked great). So there - you have to be ready to make some changes. So, after getting frustrated that this project was going nowhere fast, I took out the fattest, widest paint brush I owned and started spreading the paint in thick layers and - like magic - I was pleased with the result. I was almost to the point where I thought I would need to spray paint the thing (and actually I tested a small area with spray paint), but that proved unnecessary once the paint brush worked out.