backgrounds

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Craigslist Find Gets a Facelift

I found this dresser on Craigslist for a decent price. I didn't love the color/finish, but it was the size and style I was looking for and the fact that it was real wood meant it wouldn't be too difficult to re-finish. And then I realized this about re-finishing furniture: it's not an exact science. It's not like baking where you follow the same steps each time to get the same result. No, you have to make accomodations depending on your particular piece.

I started off this project like a I do most real-wood projects: liquid sandpaper. As I've said before, this product is great because a) you don't have to use a sander or sandpaper and you get the same result (without the dust!) and b) the sanding step can double as a wiping-everything-down-since-paint-won't-stick-to-dirt step. So, yeah - for someone who can be impatient and just want to get a project done, any time I can combine steps, I am happy.

But then that's when things got dicey. First I started with a foam roller, but even after several (several) coats, you could still see lines and the coverage wasn't great. Also, I was using a craft sponge on the drawers and smaller areas where the roller wouldn't fit and the coverage wasn't great there either (even though I had just used a craft sponge when I refinished a chair and it worked great). So there - you have to be ready to make some changes. So, after getting frustrated that this project was going nowhere fast, I took out the fattest, widest paint brush I owned and started spreading the paint in thick layers and - like magic - I was pleased with the result. I was almost to the point where I thought I would need to spray paint the thing (and actually I tested a small area with spray paint), but that proved unnecessary once the paint brush worked out.

The finished product, following a trip to Home Depoot and selecting new hardware:

(We just painted our bedroom. It's called Balmy Seas by Behr. I LOVE it, especially against the white. We are slowly re-doing our bedroom, so hopefully I will some projects to share from that soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment