backgrounds

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Finding the time - Part 2 - My trusty binder

Let me start by saying two things about my self:

1- I am by nature a methodical and system driven person. I like lists, I think they are cool. Yes really.
2- I have just had my second baby and in the process of learning to be a mother of two have rediscovered the severity of my need for order and processes to get me there.

Glad we got that out of the way, with it said, I want to share with you over the next few weeks a few of the methods that have helped me get my life under control. I know some people are more organized or systematic in nature than others, but I don't think this means we can't gain something from using tools that aren't totally natural to us. So as I share some of mine, please share some of yours!

These topics will span from finding time for chores and keeping appointments, making room for exercise and studying the Bible. Even deliberately carving out time or occasion for something special with our spouse.

Today? My trusty binder. I started keeping it a little over 2 years ago, when I moved to working part time from home and began preparing for my first child to arrive. Before then most of my 'planning' activities were work related and kept by computer on my blackberry and outlook, dinner was eaten out often and frankly, I was less forgetful.


(This one is a Russell and Hazel binder that is much prettier than my plain black, but any will do!)

This is a binder I keep in my kitchen at all times. It began with simply a to-do list in one section and a grocery/dinner section. I began stashing coupons here, recipes I planned to make this week and my master grocery list. The joy and convenience was it was all together.

The number of sections have grown since then to include a family calendar, my gym's schedule of classes, a section for babysitters that has my children's schedules as well as emergency contact info.

I try to put in here things that I need to always have at my fingertips in an organized and simple way. Simple enough that my husband can find what I am looking for if I call! What would you add?

I have mentioned Flylady before, and she suggests something similar called a "Control Journal." She even walks step by step through creating one of your own with different sections, check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment