I know I said this in my previous post about re-finishing furniture, but it's not an exact science. Because the dresser wasn't really wood, I need to first apply a primer to get the paint to stick. This primer is awesome and sticks to almost anything:
I used the sponge roller to do several coats before going over it with my paint color. If I had been thinking ahead I would have done two things differently:
- Had the hardware store tint the primer - why make more work for myself with having to go over white primer with black paint?
- When I bought the primer, I would have taken it to the paint section and had them shake it for me in one of their industrial shakers - the primer was sitting on the shelf for so long that it had separated and as much as I shook and stirred, I couldn't get it to the right consistency. Luckily I had saved my receipt and was able to take it back to Home Depot and they shook it up for me.
I was going to use the same paint brush for this project as I had used on the white dresser, but once I started using it, the brush strokes were awful and I realized I needed to use a brand new paint brush to eliminate this. Thankfully I had an extra one in the garage and used lots of paint to cover the entire dresser and the drawers. I did two full coats and a third touch-up coat and that was it - the actual priming/painting only took two days.
The most fun thing to me about re-finishing furniture is you get to make it into a brand new piece. This dresser was so blah to me, but I knew with some hardware I could really add some visual interest. For several years I had been looking at the this dresser, but when I finally studied it, I realized that the top two drawers were smaller than the bottom three, but with the current hardware, you couldn't really tell. So, I decided to use knobs on the top two drawers and pulls on the bottom three - just to emphasize this difference. This meant I had to go through and fill in all the holes, which I did with wood putty, before I began the painting process.
I'm not going to lie - it got a little dicey at the end when we were installing the new pulls and sometimes our holes didn't match up. Thankfully, though, we made it work and I now have a finished product to show you: