backgrounds

Friday, October 9, 2009

Wall Decor - Part 7: Stationary

And you thought this series was over! Thanks to JI for keeping it going during my absence - a fabulous vacation in a far-off land (okay, Texas) that I will share a few photos from soon.

This is probably my favorite part of this series because I love (LOVE) stationary. It's such an easy, simple and cheap way to add a little something to your walls, but maybe one you have never considered before. In the picture below, this is one a set of notecards I received as a gift that were all of old-fashioned bathing beauties. I already had the frame and mat and, because didn't fit perfectly in the mat, I used brown kraft paper in the background - I don't even think you can notice. This is the perfect touch for the space next to the vanity in the guest bathroom - the colors are perfect and it's just a fun picture.


Next, here are some postcards we got on our honeymoon in St. Lucia. I loved how the pictures looked kind of old and how saturated the colors were. When I originally bought them, I had no idea what I was going to do with them, but I knew the colors would look great in our house. Plus, they are historical buildings and areas on the island, so just the sense of history really appealed to me also. If you don't have enough postcards to do a series, just one would be fine, or maybe if you have three you could do three frames in a row. I just recently got frames for these...I don't usually buy things when I don't know how I will use them, but it's not as though I make it down to St. Lucia once a month AND storing postcards doesn't take up a lot of room! As you can see, I haven't yet found the perfect place for these in my house, which is why I have them sitting on a hamper in my hallway for this picture.

Lastly, while this isn't technically wall decor, I wanted to include it just to give you another idea of ways to use paper/stationary in decorating your home. I loved this mother-of-pearl frame the minute I saw it and had to buy it, even though I wasn't sure what I would put in it. (Again, I don't usually buy things when I don't know how they will be used - REALLY - but twice in this post I have contradicted myself! Maybe I have just become too practical in the last few years!) In the frame now is the cover from our wedding programs. The frame was kind of an odd size, but this fit perfectly and I loved the way the colors came together. It looks great on a bookshelf in our guest room and looking at it brings back memories of our wedding. Speaking of weddings, we also have our wedding invitation framed on the entrance table into our home. It was kind of plain, so I found a silver frame will some engraved leaves that really punches it up. I've also known people to frame their invitations in bigger frames with mats. What a great way to display the beginning of your lives together!

I hope you are inspired to start thinking about what to do with those beautiful notecards and postcards you either have lying around or see when you're out shopping. These also make great gifts for people. You can personlize it AND it's so original, anyone would love to receive it!

No comments:

Post a Comment