backgrounds

Monday, January 4, 2010

The Start of a New Year

I don't remember the last time I made a New Year's resolution. Call me flighty, but something about stating a formal resolution just seems so...limiting. I'm all about setting goals and working on new habits for myself, and the start of a new year is a perfect time to do that, but resolutions just seems so...resolute. I can't explain it, but something about the whole concept is a major turn off.

BUT I did find this idea on one of my favorite sites, RookieMoms: "What if, instead of unrealistic resolutions, we set 31 daily goals, four weekly goals and one monthly goal?" This was much more appealing to me AND it seemed more manageable because each day/week/month you might have a different goal. Plus, your goals can be seasonable - spending more time outdoors in the summer, baking more in the winter - whatever! And once you master one new goal/habit, you can move on to something else.

One goal I am setting for myself this year is in the area of finances. I want to be better about finding deals and doing the leg work necessary to take advantage of discounts, etc., at stores. For example, I know that CVS and Walgreens both have rewards cards with perks that come with each card, but I have no clue how they work and I have always chalked up the whole thing to being too time-consuming to figure out. And I know that there are coupons available online so that if something is on sale at Publix/Target/CVS already AND I combine it with a coupon, I would barely be paying anything at all. But until now the whole concept has seemed too overwhelming to try to understand that I just haven't, but now I am determined to break into the coupon/bargain-finding lifestyle! I would really like to keep track of the amount of money I save over the course of a year, just to prove to myself that it is worth the extra time and planning it takes.

A friend who has mastered the whole coupon-ing lifestyle recommended this site to me. She lists all the deals for the week at various grocery stores, plus how to combine them with other coupons from either the Internet or the Sunday paper to get a real bargain. Also, she adequately explains the CVS and Walgreens rewards programs, which I very much appreciated. The whole thing seems much more palatable now that someone has explained it all to me. Now I just have to get clipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment