backgrounds

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tuesday Tending - Week 4



Genesis 2:15  Then the LORD God took the man and put him into the garden of Eden to cultivate it and keep it.


The Bible often depicts God's work in us as the work of a gardener- pruning and tending to us.  


On the one hand, I have so enjoyed the act of tending to my little garden.  Only four weeks and my tomato plants are bearing tiny little fruit and my cucumber plants are blooming with lovely yellow flowers under the covering of their leaves.




This has been sharply contrasted with the uncountable hours I have spent this spring laboring in my flower beds trying to remove the weeds that have absolutely taken over.  I won't sadden you with the pictures of my dilapidated landscape.  


What is interesting to me is how the relatively weak rooted weed systems have nearly killed some mature plants simply because these established plants had small branches that had grown near the bottom and not been pruned.  The weeds took hold and began climbing.  


Hebrews 12:11  For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.


I'm just considering what a grace it is to me that God 'prunes' me, not allowing my bad habits or ugly thoughts to take root or linger opening me up to worse things.  And also realizing what a huge responsibility I have been given as a parent to love and discipline my children.  It is no wonder that so many parents find themselves faced with wild teenagers they can't control and it is a huge uphill battle because so many things have already laid roots.  Praying for mercy that I would have wisdom to prune wisely in a continual way for my children's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment