backgrounds

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Confessions of a New Gardner


I confess, I neglected my garden this weekend.  Watered it Friday, didn't see it again until Sunday after the kids went to bed.  The poor plants looked limp but then I lifted up the huge zucchini leaves and saw more than I knew what to do with.

We came out Monday morning with a basket to collect the harvest and this is what we had!


Five HUGE zucchini and one good sized cucumber.  And I picked another of each this morning!  So I have been searching high and low for zucchini recipes.

I have already made a few loaves of my favorite zucchini oat bread.  I split the flour 1/2 white to wheat and the sugar 1/2 sugar to Splenda.  I love it slightly warmed with a little butter.  It freezes wonderfully and makes a nice gift.

We have been eating zucchini sticks with red pepper hummus like its going out of style.  I didn't know zucchini was so tasty raw.

Last night I made these instead of french fries to go with our mojo chicken sandwiches and they were tasty.  The rosemary gave them just enough kick.

I plan to give a zucchini fritatta a try tomorrow as well as sausage stuffed zucchini boats and zucchini pancakes.   I am especially excited about this zucchini breadmaker recipe for a non-sweet loaf.

Ultimately I think I will need to start giving it away like hotcakes or I will likely tire of zucchini and never touch it again.  For now though, I am delighted.

No comments:

Post a Comment