backgrounds

Friday, May 14, 2010

My first harvest

I made my first dish using something fresh from my garden and it was both exciting for the garden's sake and super delicious.  Kind of pretty too, don't  you think?

For the chicken:
One pound of boneless/skinless chicken breast, pounded and cut into strips
One egg and a splash of milk
1/2 to 1 cup of Italian seasoned bread crumbs
Olive oil

For the Sauce:
1/3 cup of fresh basil from your garden :)  chopped or gently ripped
1/2 cup of white wine (or you can use chicken broth)
1 cup of half and half (I will probably cut this with milk next time so it's not so rich)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp dry crushed red peppers
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 can diced tomatoes (preferably seasoned with basil and garlic - can't wait until I can do fresh tomatoes from my garden instead!)
Pepper to taste.

Pasta- I used whole wheat spaghetti

Bread your chicken, then pan fry it in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil until cooked through, set aside in warm oven.
Meanwhile begin boiling water for pasta.
In separate pan add one tbsp olive oil, saute tomatoes and garlic.
When chicken is finished, add wine and red pepper flakes to chicken pan scraping bottom of pan, bring to boil.  Add half and half, bring to boil stirring, turn down and add cheese and pepper.
Just before serving add basil and tomato mixture to sauce and serve next to or over chicken and pasta.

Just before serving

No comments:

Post a Comment