backgrounds

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Tuesday Tending - Week 5


Lately my favorite part of working in my garden has been the smell on my hands afterward.  Did you know tomatoes have a very particular scent on their leaves?  It's lovely, and it doesn't wash off easily so it's a good thing I like it!

The biggest negative is I have fire ants.  Oh how I loathe fire ants.  I suppose I have chosen to live in the wrong part of the country for such loathing.  Now I need a non-toxic way to kill them.  Spilling poison pellets into my veggies seems like a bad idea.

Now for pictures:

See the little green plant in my logo above?  That was my first little zucchini plant.  Now look at them!  My garden bed is looking like a zucchini patch.  Believe it or not the bed is 4' x 8'.  Serious zucchini!

When I bought my little bitty tomato plants I asked the lady at the nursery what size cages I should buy.  She suggested medium and my husband insisted I think positive and buy the largest they had.  Good thing.

And even more rewarding is all 6 tomato plants have fruit growing on them!  Little cherry tomatoes first, then the 2 larger varieties.



How is your garden growing?  I'd love pictures, put a link to your blog in the comments please...

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I had fire ants in my garden bed too. I read online to try cinnamon and it seemed to work. I kind of dug a hole where they were located to stir them up and then sprinkled a bunch of cinnamon on it. Sugar is another idea. Apparently they can't handle sweets!

    ReplyDelete