backgrounds

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Goodbye Spring Garden


This is my last 'Tuesday Tending' post, at least until fall.

I'd like to say that this is simply because we are moving and I have to leave my precious spring garden behind.  This would be partially true.  Also true, however, is that the worms are reeking havoc on my tomatoes and cucumbers and my zucchini never recovered from their smashing.

So- here is what I learned from my very first garden and I count it a smashing success as far as first times go!

1- Give zucchini more space to grow.  Also, 3 plants produce FAR MORE zucchini than one family can consume.

2- One green bean plant will produce enough green beans at a time for one small child.  Plant more green bean plants.

3- Prune, prune, prune.  My grandfather-in-law has a hugely successful tomato harvest every summer.  When I saw his garden I realized where I'd gone wrong.  He grows each plant up a post and prunes them very thin keeping one main stalk.  Mine have become so wildly bushy in their cages I can not reach tomatoes to pick them and I can not spray well enough to ward off worms.

4- Do even more cutting flowers next year, it's so lovely to have fresh flowers in the house.

5- Plant spices in batches so that when some start to bolt, others will continue to sprout new.


WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED THIS YEAR IN YOUR GARDEN?  I'd love to know, and so would our other readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment