backgrounds

Monday, July 26, 2010

Under-the-Sink Remodel

I am back! And with something not aaallll that exciting, but a finished project nonetheless.

Here is a 'before' look of the cabinet under my kitchen sink:


I hated opening up the cabinet doors because the whole thing was such a mess and I could hardly find what I needed and bottles were being knocked over and on and on. So, back in the spring I decided to do something about it and get organized. Plus, since I had made the switch to only natural cleaning products, there were a lot of bottles I was able to get rid of.
First, I gathered some containers for organization:

But, um, they didn't match. And at the time, matching containers seemed very important. (And yes, that is a container that clementines come in. I say if you're going to spend the money on the fruit, you might as well use the box too!) So, I primed everything first:

Then painted it all to match:


I had the paint leftover from when I painted my bedroom and thought the color was fresh and clean-looking, which is what I was going for. Now, at this point you may be thinking, "But I don't care if the baskets under my sink don't match." And I would say, "You are completely normal." At the time, though I was in the throes of pregnancy nesting and somehow matching baskets were very high on my priority list. My husband was equally confused by how adamant I was about completing this project, but like other projects going on at the same time, he just kept his mouth shut until the very end, when it he told me how great it all looked :)
Here is the finished product:


Ahh! Don't you just feel relaxed looking at it? The basket on the left holds all my dish towels and the basket on the right holds all the parts to my Shark steam mop. (Which was an amazing Christmas present and is a great tool for cleaning au naturale.) In the middle (the former clementine box) I have my cleaning bottles - just my ammonia & water mixture and my homemade all-purpose cleaner. You can also see my jar of rags next to the clementine box, behind the paper towels. On the cabinet door I used a soap container like you would use in a shower to hold a sponge (for cleaning the sink), some steel wool and a toothbrush, for deep cleaning. It's out of the way but still handy, and the holes allow the sponge to dry when I am done using it.
Again - don't feel bad if you could care less about the cabinet under your kitchen sink! I hope to have some posts in the future about things you may care more about. It's good to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment