backgrounds

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Nursery Project #2

I have another wall decor project to share with you. This one is a bit more involved, so I tried to be mindful and take step-by-step pictures along the way. Basically, I wanted something sweet but also unexpected for her walls. I decided on teapots for this project because they are girl-y without being cutesy (if that makes sense?). To start, I did a Google Image Search for "teapot silhouettes" and printed off what I found. Then I used a photocopier to enlarge the two images I wanted to use. (You may be able to skip that step, depending on how large the images are when you print them off or where you get your images - maybe you're more artistic and can just draw freehand?) So, this is where my pictures pick up.



Here are my materials for this project:





(Black poster board, scissors, Exact-o knife, pencil, extra paper, frames and fabric - you could also use scrapbook paper, but I couldn't find any that I liked so I used fabric instead.)


First I took my enlarged images (you can see in the picture below how small they started off and how big I blew them up to...I think this is, like, 200% magnified) and cut them out, then traced their outlines onto my white paper. Once they were traced, I used my pencil to fill in where the original outline did not provide the best edge and to make the outline...better? (I hope this makes sense - please ask me questions if you have them!)



Next, I cut out the newly-drawn and improved images using scissors and my Exact-o knife (to cut out the handle).




Then I traced the white image onto the black poster board and cut it out using my Exact-o knife. Since that black poster board is what you will use for the outline of your silhouette, you want to be very careful with this step to ensure you get a nice, clean edge. So I figured out which direction I wanted my teapot to face, and then traced the image on the opposite side of the posterboard and cut it out on that side as well. That way, the other side had a nice, clean edge to it, without visible pencil marks or scratches from the knife when it goes "outside the lines" in the process of cutting out the shape - which it will.



This is what you get:




Next I laid the black silhouette face-down and layered the fabric face-down on top of it, followed by the frame's back:




I turned the whole thing over so I could affix the cut-out "handle" onto the fabric using double-sided tape (still holding to this day). Then I put it all face-down into the framed glass and re-attached the frame. (You could skip the step with the tape and just put everything face-down directly into the frame, if you don't need to fill in any "holes" from your silhouette.)


Here is your final product:





You'll notice the one on the right is not the same silhouette I showed of my photocopied, enlarged images. It was too blob-like so I went and found an outline that I liked better. Then I when I was through and put them side-by-side, I felt like the one on the left suddenly looked less like a teapot and more like a genie bottle. But it works and it's fine!

I think this project has a lot of potential and you could go a lot of different ways with something similar. I have an idea for an entire series if I ever have a playroom one day...so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment