backgrounds

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Kitchen Risk

My husband went out of town for 36 hours. He should know better, crazy things happen when I'm home alone.

Do you remember my yellow, gold and more yellow kitchen? Here's some friendly reminders I snapped before we bought the place.


We've gone around and around on what to do with this room and when...obviously new paint, new countertops, new backsplash. The big question has been paint or replace the cabinets (in other words, $200 or $20,000.)

Well the gold had to go, so I picked a color and painted blue. We are changing our whole pallet in the household to cooler colors.





The good news? We both love the color. The bad news? It made the backsplash and cabinets look EVEN WORSE. But them came some more good news. I have been trying to convince my husband to let me mock up a couple of cabinet doors. The risk of course being, if we didn't like it, we couldn't un-paint. The new look was bad enough he told me to go for it!

I tried a white.

I tried a distressed black.

Black was a win! All votes fell to its favor.

Then I think the "take a risk" bug took on its own passion and I did something I shouldn't have. I thought...let's just see if I can chip up this tile. As it turns out, I can't. And the backsplash is not in our budget or plans for a few more months.



So I'm sure I can stick something in there to cover it for a while. I'll let you know when we get this thing rolling!

6 comments:

  1. So I'm far from an expert, but with the black and light blue, I think it would look really neat to have some kind of textured tin tile as a backsplash. And maybe as a temporary fix, you could just affix (with hot glue, or some other removable sticky stuff)some faux tin ceiling tiles, or some of that textured wallpaper painted to look like tin to the backsplash. Or maybe glue black beadboard to the backsplash, like thritydecorchick did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I have some beadboard stashed in there now ;) At least I don't have to see the gaping hole! We did the faux tin backsplash in our last remodel here: http://joyfulimperfection.blogspot.com/2010/06/before-and-after-kitchen.html. Loved it!
    Thinking white subway tile this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a great transformation. The new color is so pretty and really makes the room look larger. Really glad that I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your transformation! I have a chalk paint giveaway going on now..would love to have you enter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tamzen, it's Terri Brown, Ashley's mom. I love watching your creative redecorating/remodeling ideas on your blog! Haven't looked in awhile, though. Have you thought about painting the tiled backsplash? I'm sure you could reattach a replacement tile for the one you removed. We own two rental properties, and had someone paint our bathroom tile. I'm sure you could do the backsplash yourself, since it doesn't get the wear and tear of a shower. (Wow! I wrote a more than I intended!) Keep up the beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terri, I didn't know painting was an option. I'm looking into that for sure! What type of paint do you use? Obviously you'd need a serious primer and a poly protective coat, but latex in between? Does it last?

    ReplyDelete