backgrounds

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Laundry Room redo

We finished two major renovations this year in our kitchen and master bath.  I am not in any hurry to take on another biggie any time soon, so I've been working on some smaller projects.

Unfortunately, I don't have any 'before' pictures of my laundry room.  It was just too ugly to justify photographing.  I did snap this picture after we popped a few holes in the ceiling to see where a leak was originating.  Drywall repair was going to require removing the kitschy wallpaper and repainting so it jump started this little project I've been meaning to do.


My husband requested plain ole beige, so that's what I did.  I tore up the wavy peeling white and green linoleum and contemplated my threshold problem.  As you can see, the threshold is under the door jamb and I was not up to tiling, recutting door jambs, or anything else major.  I was however very disappointed in the look of most vinyl flooring because it looked like…vinyl flooring. 


Then I came across a vinyl tile at Home Depot that has ceramic mixed into the texture and can be laid flush or spaced and grouted.  I went with the grouted option.  It was extremely cost effective and it is beautiful!  You truly can't tell it's not tile until you reach down and touch it.  


Next I bought this little shoe cubby off craigslist and made a slip cover.


Then I hung a bunch of hooks and I made this cute little laundry sign that I will blog about later this week.


This was not a big project, I knocked it out in about 36 hours while my husband was out of town.   I have to say though, it's made a huge impact.  Just having a place where I can tell the kids to take off their shoes and put them in the cubbies and their bags and jackets on hooks has revolutionized our going out and getting home routines.  I would have loved built-ins and more pretty things, but the laundry room above all things must be functional!  If we ever do build, I will put a great deal of planning into this space because it is the hub of our home in many respects.

2 comments:

  1. Love it - I have to say, I think we have that exact same flooring in our laundry room - which isn't as fabulous as yours.... It's a project waiting to happen - waiting for me to figure out what I want to do in there and how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie- all my laundry room wares sat in our dining roof for 2 weeks. It was amazing how that motivated me to do "good enough" instead of building shelving. I just wanted it functional again! Check out my laundry pinterest board though, lots of ideas :)

    ReplyDelete